October, 2022


The water footprint is an indicator that reflects the use, consumption and contamination of water. It also allows the analysis of the environmental, social and economic implications of water usage. This study estimates the water footprint of receptive tourism in Bolivia in 2019, based on the Evaluation Manual of the Water Footprint of the Water Footprint Network. The results indicate a consumption of 17,906,638 cubic meters of water in 2019, which is approximately equivalent to 5,000 Olympic pools. The consumption of food and purchase of textiles and apparel by tourists represents 97% of the water footprint of the sector, while the remaining 3% is from direct consumption and water contamination. Due to the results obtained, they identified opportunities and actions to improve the sector and its key actors (hotels, travel agencies, tourists, service providers, etc.).

Download document

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *